Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Visiting nursing homes, hospitals, schools, etc. Incorporate the use of friendly animals and provide educational information.
- Become a foster home for injured, too young for adoption, or other special needs pets. Responsibilities of foster homes: Food, shelter, socialization and any other basics. Helping to find appropriate homes for these special pets. Follow up after adoptions to make sure it was a good match. Make friends!
- Adoption counseling - helping to match the perfect animal with the perfect family. Reviewing adoption applications, education adopters about all the aspects of their pet selection, responsibilities, breed characteristics, etc. Follow up on success of match.
- Soliciting donations from local merchants, groomers, vets, food suppliers, trainers, and other concerned citizens. Could involve doing presentations to civic organizations, corporations, businesses and other resources.
- Participating in fundraiser events: Dog walks, rummage sales, holiday parties, training sessions, etc.
- Computer input - We now have a digital camera, useful for putting pet photos up on the Internet. This will increase adoptions and reuniting lost animals with their owners. This task requires computer skills, taking digital photos of animals at the shelter, implementing website information, etc.
- Working with the animals directly. Socializing, walking, training, grooming, playing with them, etc.
- Clerical work - Matching lost and found animals and follow-up after adoptions, filing, helping with general office duties.
- Kennel help - Cleaning crates, washing dishes, doing laundry, etc.
- Must be 18 years old to volunteer at the Animal Shelter.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Madera County Animal Shelter, please call us at (559) 675-7891 or fill out the Volunteer Application and submit it online or send it to: