The General Assistance (GA) program is designed to provide assistance to indigent adults who are not supported by their own mean, other public funds, or assistance programs. The GA program is mandated by state law. GA is county funded and is established by the Board of Supervisors.
The county pays GA Clients directly with a single warrant once required documents are submitted.
Persons who are unable to work are required to provide a doctor’s statement of disability attesting to their physical or mental condition. Persons providing such a statement are referred to the Social Security Administration to apply for disability benefits. The individual signs an agreement that the county will recoup the amount of General Assistance paid on their behalf from their retroactive SSI/SSP benefit payments.
General assistance may be available for cremation and/or burial of cremated remains of indigents that are residents of Madera County based on General Assistance eligibility requirements.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply in person at our Madera, Chowchilla, or Oakhurst locations listed below in Where to Apply.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age unless they are:
- Court approved emancipated minor
- Legally married, childless minor couple
- Childless, one time legally married but separated or divorced minor
- Applicants must live in Madera County and intend to remain here.
- Applicants must have lived in Madera County for at least 15 days.
- Applicants must be a citizen of the United States, or an alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent or indefinite residence.
- Applicants must be unemployed, incapacitated, or pending receipt of SSI.
All employable General Assistance applicants and recipients must be available for and actively seeking employment within their capabilities.
- Proof of income amounts
- Proof of property values
- Citizenship status
- Social Security number
For maps and more information, visit the Facilities page.
Hours of Operation
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday