Sunday, Dec 17, 2017
Adjust Font Size
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

County of Madera


Laws for the OHV Operator

You must have one of the following when operating any type of Motorized off-highway vehicle on public land:

  • A green or red sticker issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
  • A non-resident OHV permit.
  • A street legal license plate for four-wheel drive vehicles and dual-sport motorcycles.
  • No OHV shall exceed 15 mph within 50 feet of any campground, concentration of people or animals.
  • All motorcycles must be equipped with a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrester, and muffler. The OHV must also comply with the state's noise regulation. CVC 38370.
  • OHVs operated between sunset and sunrise must have at least one headlight that allows the operator to see for 200 feet and one red taillight visible for 200 feet.
  • Paved roads may be crossed at right angles to the direction of the highway.
  • It is illegal to possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while riding or operating an off-highway vehicle.

For further information on a complete listing of OHV LAWS, see Division 16.5 of California Vehicle Code or visit the OHV web site:

County Mission/Vision Statements

Mission Statement

Madera County's Mission is to serve the public interest in a fiscally responsible manner by providing efficient, cost effective customer service, promoting public health and safety while creating new possibilities with partnerships through a diversified economy.

Vision Statement

Madera County is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence, with integrity, and is committed to the highest quality of life for all.

Upcoming Events

Dec 24th, 12:00am -12:00am
Dec 25th, 12:00am -12:00am
Dec 26th, 8:00am -5:00pm
: Holiday
Jan 1st, 8:00am -5:00pm
Jan 15th, 8:00am -5:00pm

General County Contact

General County Contact
200 W. 4th Street
Madera, CA 93637
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Use this number to get general information about the County or County departments.  

For non-emergency information or service, dial 311